CALL US TOLL FREE 225-224-2222 We are offering virtual meetings by request.

Can you bring your parents to the United States as immigrants?

If you want to bring your parents to the United States, the good news is that you may be able to. The United States Citizenship and Immigrations Services has specific rules regarding bringing your mother or father to live in the United States.

Some of those rules state that you need to be a U.S. citizen yourself and at least 21 years old at the time of the petition. Unfortunately, if you are only a Green Card holder, you will not be able to petition to bring either of your parents to the country.

What can you do to bring your parents to the USA if you are a citizen?

If you have been naturalized and are a citizen, you can bring your parents to the United States in most cases. You will need to submit a form known as Form I-130. This should be submitted with a copy of your birth certificate that has your parent’s name on it. If you weren’t born in the U.S., then you should include a copy of the Certificate of Naturalization with the application.

There is a difference in what you do if you are bringing your mother or father to the U.S. For your mother, the above process is all you need to do. For your father, you will also need to have a copy of your parents’ civil marriage certificate. Understanding that not all people get married, you will need to provide evidence of being legitimated before you turned 18. If you were not legitimated before you turned 18, then you will need to show that you have evidence of a financial or emotional bond between yourself and your father.

Can you bring your step-parents or adopted parents to the United States?

Yes, in some cases. As long as they personally meet the qualifications, they may be eligible if you have copies of their marriage certificates from before the time when you turned 18. For adopted parents, make sure you include evidence of the adoption taking place before the age of 16.

This is all complex, and the form has to be filled out accurately. Your attorney can help you fill it in and supply the correct evidence as well.