Our Team of Lawyers

About Our Firm

We are honored that thousands of clients have sought our representation in their legal affairs. Our firm consists of lawyers licensed to practice in Texas, Louisiana & Mississippi. In addition to these states, we provide representation to clients in various other parts of the country with proper local co-counsel associations.
Learn more about us

No Obligation, No Cost, Contact Us Today

Free Case Evaluation

Map 1

Baton Rouge7908 Wrenwood Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA 70809

Phone: 866-208-9311
Fax: 866-208-9311

Map 2

Lake CharlesCapital One Tower
Suite 1270
Lake Charles, LA 70629

Phone: 866-208-9311

Map 4

Houston3730 Kirby Drive
Suite 1200
Houston, TX 77098

Phone: 866-208-9311

Map 5

New Orleans1615 Poydras Street
Suite 900
New Orleans, LA 70112

Toll Free: 866-208-9311

Update: Simien & Simien, LLC is open and we are here to help you as we know your needs do not stop. The firm is currently open and operating. In light of current public health concerns, please know that we are following all health guidelines to protect both our team and our clients. We are offering virtual meetings by request.

Attorneys Serving Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi

Can I Appeal If My Workers’ Comp Claim Is Denied?

On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2018 | Workers' Compensation

If you applied for workers’ compensation benefits but were denied, you still have the right to file an appeal with Louisiana’s Office of Workers’ Compensation Administration (OWCA). If your appeal is successful, you should receive the compensation needed to cover medical bills, lost wages and lost earning capacity.

The Baton Rouge workers’ compensation attorneys of Simien & Simien explain the appeals process below. We are prepared to guide you through every step of the appeal process to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Contact us for a free, no obligation legal consultation to find out how we can help you.

Filing an Appeal of a Workers’ Compensation Claim

If your Louisiana workers’ compensation claim is denied or you disagree with the type or amount of benefits you were awarded, you have the right to request a hearing to appeal the decision.

To request a hearing, you must file the Disputed Claim for Compensation form. Print out and complete the form then mail it to your workplace or your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company. You also need to make a copy and send it to the OWCA – the address is on the top left of the first page of the form.

Once the insurance company receives the form, it has 15 days to respond by filing an Answer document with the OWCA. Once this happens, your case will be assigned to the nearest district office and a hearing will be scheduled. You should expect to wait between six and nine months from the date you file your claim to have a hearing.

Deadlines for Workers’ Compensation Appeals

There are various deadlines for filing an appeal, depending on the reason you are disputing the decision. For example, if you are disputing a decision about medical benefits, you must file a claim within one year of the accident date, or three years from the date you were last paid medical benefits, whichever date is later (Louisiana Revised Statutes 23:1209).

If you want to suspend the effect of a workers’ compensation judge’s decision, you must do so within 30 days of the decision. If you want to appeal a judgment but not suspend the effect of the judgment, you must file an appeal within 60 days of the decision.

Get Help with Your Workers’ Compensation Claim Appeal

The workers’ compensation appeals process can be lengthy and difficult. Working with a skilled attorney in Baton Rouge is wise to protect your rights and help ensure you follow all of the OWCA’s requirements.

An attorney will assist you with filing your appeal, ensuring all needed documents are complete and submitted before deadlines pass. Your lawyer will also represent you at your appeal hearing to make sure your interests are protected. If your appeal is denied, an attorney may be able to take your case to a higher court to pursue the benefits you deserve.

Contact Simien & Simien Now

The Baton Rouge personal injury attorneys of Simien & Simien have years of experience helping injured workers pursue the benefits they deserve for work-related injuries and illnesses.

If your workers’ compensation claim was denied, contact us and learn what legal options are available for receiving compensation for medical bills and lost wages. We will assist you through the appeals process or file a lawsuit if appropriate.

We offer free, no obligation consultations so you may learn what options will help you recover the compensation you deserve. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you only pay legal fees if you recover compensation.

Call (800) 374-8422 or complete our Free Case Evaluation form now.


FindLaw Network

Free Case Evaluation

Latest From Our Blog

If you are looking for a law firm that has knowledge and experience, you will find it with Simien & Simien, LLC.

Free Case Evaluation

Our team of dedicated Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi attorneys represent injured persons throughout Louisiana, including Alexandria, Opelousas, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Houma-Thibodeaux, New Orleans, Shreveport, Monroe, and throughout Mississippi and areas of Texas including Orange, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston and the other metro areas.